Thursday 26 September 2013

I ♥ Orla Keily Designs

Last week I had a mini art project on the go where I had to choose an artist to study. Out of the list of names given, I was immediately drawn to researching Orla Keily. And the more I looked at the items online, the more I liked them! Here is some of what I wrote:
Orla Kiely is an Irish fashion designer based in London. She has a shop in Covent Garden, and exports to Europe, America and Asia.
Orla received a Master’s degree from the Royal College of Art where Harrods purchased her exit collection. Although she started work on hat design, she moved into design work on handbags with the new idea of using laminated cloth.
She worked with a lot of different companies before setting up her own business. Her designs are now featured on a variety of items, including a car and water bottle! The Orla Kiely brand produces ready-to-wear collections, homeware, furnishings, luggage and accessories, all emblazoned with her instantly recognisable graphics. The clothing and bag designs feature in London Fashion Week.
Her signatures are “Colour, pattern and texture with a 60s twist.” Her designs are graphic and bold. She has desgined coats, knitwear, skirts and dresses in striking arrangements. One of the key fabrics has perfect rounded flowers sewn on top. Her signature patterns are ‘Stem’ which has teardrop leaves coming out of a stem, ‘Acorn’ which has leaves with ‘acorns’ interlocking, flowers, and pears in different patterns.
I created a collage of some of my favourite items designed to show the variety that the shop offers. If you like these, look on the Orla Kiely website. I have also linked to items stocked on the John Lewis website. If you click on the picture you will be taken to the webpage.



Squirrel Intarsia Sweater Light Grey

Squirrel Intarsia Sweater

Buy Orla Kiely Printed Tote Handbag, Linear Stem Online at johnlewis.com
Printed Tote Handbag
If you want to see more of Orla's fashion designs, here is her page on London Fashion week, which includes a video and downloadable lookbook.
What is your favourite item?

1 comment:

  1. I adore the dress, handbag and Squirrel jumper is so cute! I like everything.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and tell me what you thought about this post! Thanks!